Manager, Child Care Services
YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver island
Please view the information below for a detailed job description outlining the role and responsibilities. If you have any questions or would like to apply, please contact the organization directly and follow any application instructions as described within the job description details below.
Hours Per Week:
Type of Child Care:
Other: Infant /Toddler & 3-5
September 1st, 2022
Nature and Scope:
Reporting to the Director of Operations (Community Programs), the Manager of Child Care Services has oversight responsibility for our two licensed child care centres and will support continued development in this area. Working closely with the Child Care Supervisors at each location, the Manager ensures that staff and volunteers are well-trained and highly effective in the delivery of services to children and families. This position focuses largely on supporting and developing staff and volunteers - many of whom are at the early stages of their careers. We are seeking an individual with strong values and an entrepreneurial attitude, bringing energy and enthusiasm to their work while maintaining high standards for themselves and others. As part of the management group, there will also be opportunities to contribute toward organization-wide projects and initiatives.
• To facilitate the planning and implementation of consistent child-centered programs, at all sites, in accordance with YMCA-YWCA and CCFL standards, following a play-based curriculum/philosophy.
• Ensure all programs and sites adhere to the Association’s Health and Safety policies and procedures.
• To provide leadership, serve as a role model, and supervise staff and volunteers.
• Recruit, select and manage the performance of staff and volunteers, working in collaboration with on-site Child Care Supervisors, to build a highly effective team.
• To manage the financial aspects of all related programs, ensuring that budget targets are met.
• Represent the Association and the Child Care programs in the community as assigned.
• Provide leadership to the Child Care department’s portion of the Strong Kids Campaign, which raises funds to support all Y programs and services.
• Other related duties as assigned.
Other: University Degree preferred
• University degree or college diploma in a related field, or a combination of relevant experience and education
• Current Early Childhood Educator or Infant Toddler Educator Licence to Practice in BC certification are considered a strong asset
• Well-developed interpersonal skills and ability to establish rapport with our diverse families, staff, volunteers, community stakeholders and partners
• Ability to work in a socially inclusive environment, respond with sensitivity and personal awareness to diverse needs
• Excellent leadership skills and initiative
• Current Standard First Aid and CPR-C required (within 30 days of hire)
• A clear Ministry of Justice Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening required
• A clear Police/RCMP Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening required
• Must provide confirmation of full COVID-19 vaccination
Years Experience Required:
• Preferred experience: minimum 4 years of supervisory experience in the child care services / community services field; experience supervising licensed child care programs is a valued asset
• Significant experience managing multiple childcare sites (or related) is an asset
Salary & Benefits:
Salary Range: $62,000 - $72,000/year
This permanent full-time position is entitled to a YMCA-YWCA individual membership, and a cost-shared benefits package (after completion of the probationary period) which includes:
• Health Care, Drug Plan, Dental, Vision, EAP
• Extended Health Care
• Life Insurance
• YMCA Canada Pension Plan (eligible after one year)
• Vacation Entitlement: 22 days per year
Classification: Permanent Full-Time*
Placement: September 2022 (Negotiable)
Hours: 35 hours per week*
*Please note: Applications from highly qualified individuals seeking a shorter work week will be considered.