Early Childhood Educator/ Early Childhood Assistant
Saplings Outdoor Program
Please view the information below for a detailed job description outlining the role and responsibilities. If you have any questions or would like to apply, please contact the organization directly and follow any application instructions as described within the job description details below.
Hours Per Week:
Type of Child Care:
As soon as possible
Saplings Outdoor Program is looking for a passionate Early Childhood Educator at our Lions Bay Preschool (250 Bayview Road, Lions Bay) who is interested in working with preschool children in an outdoor environment. We are looking for an individual who is able to work both independently as well as part of a team to create a dynamic and engaging forest school experience for our little Saplings!
Primary responsibilities include:
- Alongside the management, plan and implement a dynamic forest program.
- Ensure the safety of all children, including but not limited to forest play, hiking, climbing trees, or while in close proximity to such things as standing water, streams, and other terrains.
- Ensure the daily preparation of learning areas and materials.
- Assume overall responsibility for program tools and equipment, including safety, use, and maintenance.
- Plan, prepare and co-create seasonal activities and projects utilizing natural materials, locally foraged or sourced.
- Implement mentorship strategies that are individually focused and age-appropriate, with an emphasis on compassion and respect.
- Attend monthly staff meetings and parent meetings as needed.
- Communicate with parents effectively, in person, and occasionally by phone.
- Be physically capable of performing teaching duties with enthusiasm regardless of the weather (rain, sleet, snow, heat), including the ability to walk distances and over uneven terrain, carry a backpack, and supplies.
- Support the benefits of risk-taking, movement, and physical development in the early years.
- Encourage familiarity with the local flora and fauna, including poisonous plants and their location, or be willing to be mentored, seek outside training, or self-study.
- Model and teach outdoor skills including risk management, knots, shelter building, self-care/appropriate clothing, leave-no-trace practices, and interacting with local wildlife.
- Follow licensing requirements.
- Early Childhood Education Diploma or Degree is essential (not ECEA).
- Current BC Early Childhood Certificate.
- Clean Criminal Record Check.
- Current First Aid Certificate.
- Experience working with children ages 2.5-5 years old.
- Applicants with Forest School or Reggio experience are preferred.
Who Are We?
Saplings Outdoor Program is an established forest school located throughout the traditional, ancestral and unceded territory of the Coast Salish peoples–Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), Stó:lō and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) and xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam) Nations (Lower Mainland). We operate numerous preschools, afterschool care programs, daycares and a primary school.
Saplings believe that nature is a child’s best education. We use a holistic approach to education as we strive to inspire a sense of wonder and love for learning. Our forest school educators are passionate individuals with a deep respect for childhood and reverence for the natural world. Educators will work in a variety of natural landscapes such as: forests, ocean sides and parks as they inspire play and follow the children’s lead to discover the world around them. At Saplings, time is flexible. We value slowing the pace of the day to give children time and space to learn, form caring relationships and connect with the natural world.
Our organization is committed to providing a safe and equitable space for all. Our educators and children’s right to belong and feel safe is fiercely protected and we implement anti-racist, anti-homophobic, and anti-transphobic practices.
Why Should You Apply?
Saplings offer a flexible work schedule and great work-life balance. Our educators note the positive effects working in our beautiful outdoor classrooms has on their mood and sense of well-being. If you are seeking a meaningful role in education that aligns, you’re your philosophy of nature-based and child-centered programming, this job is for you.
Who Should Apply?
We employ individuals from a variety of backgrounds, and firmly believe the various unique expertise of our educators provide a rich learning environment for the children. Sapling’s recognizes the important role it plays in strengthening values of equity, social justice, and diversity and inclusion. We strongly encourage individuals from marginalized groups including those identifying as Indigenous, Black, LGBTQ2SIA+ and other equity-seeking backgrounds to apply.
About Saplings Outdoor Program:
Saplings Outdoor Program is a nature-based program located in West Vancouver for children ages 2.5-9 years old. The main purpose of our program is to provide children with an opportunity to connect with the environment in a safe and enjoyable way. Nature is a child’s best education.
Years Experience Required:
Salary & Benefits:
- Extended Health Benefits