Early Childhood Educator Lead (Nature Preschool) - Multiple Positions
City of Surrey
Please view the information below for a detailed job description outlining the role and responsibilities. If you have any questions or would like to apply, please contact the organization directly and follow any application instructions as described within the job description details below.
Type of Child Care:
August 15th, 2022
The City of Surrey provides exciting opportunities and challenges in an active and energetic environment and is looking for enthusiastic Early Childhood Educator Leads to teach the Nature Preschool program at the Surrey Nature Centre and/or Redwood Park. These co-lead positions are best suited to creative, self-motivated individuals who enjoy working outdoors in a dynamic, fast-paced environment. The City of Surrey follows a responsive curriculum and is committed to ensuring that every child in our program has a positive and safe experience. These positions require the ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
The yearlong Nature Preschool program runs annually from September to June - current openings are for our Tuesday/Thursday morning classes at the Surrey Nature Centre (licensed) and Redwood Park (unlicensed). Occasional afternoon and evening shifts may be required.
Union - CUPE Local 402 – Auxiliary
- Ensure the safety of all children, including but not limited to forest play, hiking, climbing trees, or while in close proximity to such things as standing water and other terrains.
- Model and teach outdoor skills including healthy risk-taking, self-care/appropriate clothing, leave-no-trace practices, and interacting with local wildlife.
- Provide a creative, enriched, play-based learning environment.
- Be responsible for organizing and maintaining a stimulating environment that builds all areas of child development, including self-esteem, creative problem solving, collaboration, and emergent literacy and numeracy.
- Develop activities that are important to the various stages of child development including art, fine/gross motor skills, risk-taking, and constructive play.
- Attend monthly staff meetings and parent meetings, as needed.
Other: Early Childhood Education
- A valid License to Practice - Early Childhood Education (ECE) and holds an Early Childhood Educator Certificate from an approved early childhood education training institute.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in teaching.
- A current First Aid Certificate and CPR C with AED.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Have basic computer skills.
- Experience teaching in an outdoor setting.
- Knowledge of local plants and animals (an asset).
Salary & Benefits:
$21.62 per hour